Wednesday, November 07, 2007

What I've learned so far

Tonight I had a flashback. We were getting ready to take a walk in the chilly early evening. I got out Dan's stroller bunting and quickly slipped it in the stroller, pulled the seat belt through the bunting and buckled Dan in.

Our very first walk with Dan wasn't so simple. It was December 10, it was cold and it was my first mild exercise since Dan's birth. We bundled 10-day-old Dan up and then spent nearly a half hour trying to figure out the stroller bunting. So, eleven months into parenthood, one thing I know for sure is how to attach the bunting to the stroller in less than 30 seconds.

What I don't know could fill an entire blog, but here's a start:
  • How to dress my son without him screaming or going rigid
  • How to snap the baby's pants while he's trying to crawl away
  • How to diaper a baby who's trying to crawl away (Here's an idea for a baby shower game: Diapering cats.)
  • Why he sleeps through some nights and not others
  • Why he stops what he's doing suddenly and just shrieks
  • Why he poops three times a day no matter what he eats
  • What the fascination is with the refrigerator, dishwasher and stove
  • Why he looks up in wonder, coos and waves at the ceiling fan
  • Why he doesn't take a morning or afternoon nap some days
  • Why, after a trying day with him, I still feel compelled to check on him while sleeps, just because I miss him.
The stroller bunting, I have that down. Now if I could just figure out how to dress him without the drama.

No comments: